Empowering Our Community
From 2012-2018, over 250 individuals in Chatham County lost their life to suicide.
However, suicide is preventable. To equip our community with the skills to intervene when someone is having thoughts of suicide, the Chatham County Commission in conjunction with the Chatham County Safety Net Planning Council, Inc. and Gateway Community Service Board are working to Prevent Suicide Today.
Prevent Suicide Today is a community-based initiative working to prevent suicide by raising awareness about suicide and providing skills-based evidence-based suicide intervention and resiliency-building training. Through SuicideTALK, SafeTALK, and ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training) workshops, we build capacity for suicide prevention in our community, while with the Mindful Self-Compassion (MSC) program, we enhance our community with tools for emotional well-being. All of PST’s efforts are directed toward creating multiple layers of accessible and affordable resources for a suicide-safer compassion-focused Chatham County.
Here’s a look at what we have accomplished from September 2017 to September 2019:
People trained in ASIST
ASIST scholarships provided to community members
People trained in SuicideTALK
Community partners working to prevent suicide
ASIST workshops completed
Teaching the Skills
Suicide prevention is everyone’s business. We work to empower community members with the confidence to speak openly about suicide in order to create awareness that suicide is preventable and to promote overall mental health and well-being. Coupled with awareness, we teach community members the practical skills to intervene when someone is at risk.
of participants increase their confidence to help a person at risk of suicide after an ASIST workshop
of participants reported that the workshop has a practical use in their everyday life
We help teach the skills, but it’s community members from all walks of life that use them to save lives. Thank you for making Chatham County a suicide safer community.
Thank You, Our Community Partners!
Our community partners work together to Prevent Suicide Today in Chatham County.
- Chatham County Commission
- Chatham County Health Department
- Chatham County Juvenile Court
- Chatham County Safety Net Planning Council
- Chatham County Sheriff’s Office
- Chatham County Police Department
- First Baptist Church of the Islands
- Forever4Change Inc.
- Gateway Community Service Board
- Georgia Regional Hospital of Savannah
- Georgia Southern University
- Hospice Savannah-Demere Center for Living
- MedBank Foundation, Inc.
- Memorial Health University Medical Center
- Savannah Fire & Emergency Services
- Savannah Police Department
- Savannah State University
- Savannah-Chatham Public School System
- St. Joseph’s/Candler Health System
- St. Mary’s Community Center
- The Front Porch
- Union Mission
If you are having thoughts of suicide or need immediate assistance, please call the Georgia Crisis and Access Line at 1-800-715-4225