Health care can be a difficult puzzle. We work as one to put the pieces
together for Chatham County and for you.

The Planning Council FAQs

What is a Medical Home?

It is a place where the healthcare provider knows you. You can go there to get advice about how you can be well. Your healthcare provider will help you reach your health goals like losing weight, getting your blood pressure under control, learning how to eat right, taking your medications correctly or giving you support with any other health goal you may have. You will find people who care about your overall well-being.

Does the Chatham County Safety Net Planning Council (Planning Council) provide care?

Not directly, but our family of providers does.

Does the Planning Council provide insurance?

No. Our providers do not require that you have health insurance. Depending on the provider you choose there is staff available to assist you with enrolling into Medicaid, Peachcare for Kids and/or a plan offered through the Marketplace.

How do I find a Medical Home?

Visit our Healthcare page. You will find information about each of our providers. There is also important information about who qualifies for health care at each location and what to bring with you when you visit for the first time.

Remember, if you are experiencing a medical emergency, you should immediately dial “911” for emergency services.

What if I don’t have insurance?

Our providers do not require that you have health insurance coverage. Depending on which provider you choose, you will need to bring information with you to confirm that you qualify for care. Typically, this includes documents that verify your income, family size and confirmation of identification.

Each provider has staff that will assist you with applying for Medicaid, PeachCare for Kids and/or ACA coverage.

What if I have no income or I am homeless?

There is a medical home in Chatham County which specializes in providing care to the homeless population.  J.C. Lewis Health Center is the Federally Qualified Health Center designated to care for the homeless. If you have no income, you may choose to visit the J. C. Lewis Health Center, Curtis V. Cooper Primary HealthCare, Inc., St. Joseph’s /Candler Mission Services clinics, St. Mary’s or Good Samaritan. Your visit may be at no or very low cost.

Will I have to pay before I am seen?

At some of the providers, federal regulations require that fees are collected at the time of service. Others have a policy that you must contribute a small donation for your care. Do not be concerned. These fees are extremely reasonable and are not meant to keep you from getting the care you need. You should ask this question when you make your first appointment with the provider you choose so that you will come prepared.

How do I decide which place is best for me?

Each one of our providers is a bit different. First decide who in your family needs care. If you have children or an elderly family member, you may want to explore the Curtis V. Cooper Primary Health Care or the J.C. Lewis Health Center. Both are Federally Qualified Health Centers and offer a broad range of health care services.

If you are pregnant, you will find prenatal care at Curtis V. Cooper Primary Health Care.

If you are an adult who needs a check up, needs health screening or has chronic disease needing ongoing care, you can choose any of our providers. You may want to find the one with a location and hours which work best with your mode of transportation and schedule.

What are the clinic hours?

These vary by provider, but often include evening hours for your convenience. Please refer to the Healthcare section of this website.

How do I make an appointment?

Appointments are made directly with each provider. The contact numbers are in the Healthcare section. All appointments are made by telephone during business hours.

Some providers accept walk-in patients. This is not recommended! You will have to wait until the people with scheduled appointments are seen. The staff will not be prepared for your visit in advance. It is best that you call for an appointment in advance. If you are sick, call ahead and ask for the best time to arrive.   Unfortunately, you may have to wait, but you will be seen. ??Remember, if you are experiencing symptoms that you feel are life-threatening, call “911” for emergency care immediately.

How long do I have to wait to get an appointment?

This depends on the provider and the care you need. Please call and speak with the providers for information about appointment availability.

What do I need to bring with me?

Each provider has listed their requirements in the Healthcare section of this website, but the best thing to do is to ask when you make an appointment.

How do I get help with prescriptions?

The best thing to do is to tell your health care provider that you need help. You may be referred to a MedBank representative who can help you find the program that is right for you. Click here for more information on prescription assistance.

How do I find dental care?

In the Healthcare section, you will find information about dental care providers for adults and for children. Call the provider directly for information and/or an appointment during the office hours provided.

Is there help with vision or eyeglasses?

Call your provider. Some providers have on-site vision assistance and some have an agreement with an eye doctor who will see you at his or her office.

What kind of health screening is available?

Most providers offer:

  • Blood Pressure Checks
  • Screening for Diabetes
  • Pap Smears
  • Mammograms
  • HIV/AIDS testing
  • Testing and Treatment for Sexually Transmitted Infections
  • Pregnancy Tests
  • Oral Health Screenings

Check the Healthcare section to find which provider has the services you need.

Are there services for HIV/AIDS or STDs?

Yes, through almost all of our providers. Check the information in the Healthcare section and call the provider to verify that the service you need is something they offer.

What about help with mental illness or addiction?

The Georgia Department of Human Resources has set up a 24/7 telephone service which provides information about all services available for help with mental illness or addiction, for all ages. Counselors are also available to talk to you if you need advice. Call the Georgia Crisis and Access Line at 1-800-715-4225 or visit

What Women’s Health services are available?

Most providers offer:

  • Pregnancy Testing
  • Pap Smears
  • Annual Gynecologic Visits
  • Mammograms
  • Women’s Health Education
  • Testing for Sexually Transmitted Infections
  • HIV/AIDS Testing

Prenatal care is available at Curtis V. Cooper Primary Health Care.

Are there services for adults?

Yes, all of our providers are ready to care for adults who need check-ups, screening, ongoing care for a chronic disease or advice to address a short-term health issue.

Are there services for children?

Yes, at the Federally Qualified Health Centers, Curtis V. Cooper Primary Health Center and J.C. Lewis Primary Health Care. The Chatham County Health Department has a Children’s Services department offering special programs for children as well as immunizations for all ages.

What if I need to see a medical specialist?

Some providers have specialists who come to the clinic site or hold specialty clinics at regularly scheduled times. Please contact a provider listed in the Healthcare section for an appointment. If you require specialty care at an office outside of the clinic, your primary care provider will make every effort to arrange an appointment for you.

How can the Care Navigator help me?

If you are unsure which provider to contact after looking at the Health Care Resources Page, the Care Navigator can help direct you to a provider. She can explain what paperwork you need to bring to your appointment. The Care Navigator can answer your questions about your healthcare options. You can reach the Care Navigator at (912)356-2887.

How about Health Education and Wellness?

Absolutely, yes! Talk to your health caregiver. There are all types of programs within each location and available in the Chatham County community. Depending on your health education needs, you will be matched with the program that is right for you.

How can I volunteer?

You may contact the agencies directly for information on volunteering.

Can I complete my internship/preceptor at your clinic?

You may contact the agencies directly for information on internships and/or preceptors.

How can I donate?

Many of our partner agencies accept donations. You may contact the provider or agency you are interested in donating to directly.   United Way of the Coastal Empire receives donations on behalf of some of our member agencies. Please contact the local office for additional information.

Chatham County Safety Net Planning Council is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization. CCSNPC does not accept funds or donations of any kind which are intended for a partner or member organization. However, you may donate directly to CCSNPC administrative fund by contacting the Executive Director’s office.