Health care can be a difficult puzzle. We work as one to put the pieces
together for Chatham County and for you.

Mental Health Care & Substance Use Treatment

Use this guide to find mental health care or substance use treatment in Chatham County.

What kind of health coverage do you have?

PeachCare for Kids or Georgia Families Medicaid

Your Medicaid or PeachCare for Kids insurance provider (Amerigroup, Peach State, WellCare, or CareSource) will help you find the services you need. You can call or go online to your Medicaid provider directory.

If you need help enrolling into Medicaid or PeachCare for Kids in Chatham County, contact the Coastal Campaign for Healthy Kids.


Transportation: If you need a free ride to an appointment or the hospital (for non-emergency visits), call the non-emergency transportation lines:

  • Ambulance only: 1-800-325-0011
  • Other than ambulance: 1-855-295-1636

Transportation: If you need a ride to the doctor, to the WIC office, or to do Medicaid paperwork at the County Department of Jobs and Family Services, call CareSource to schedule a free ride.

  • 1-800-488-0134
  • TTY 1-800-750-0750
Peach State Health Plan

Transportation: If you need a free ride to a medical visit, you can call to schedule a ride at least 3 days before your appointment:

  • 800-657-9965

Transportation: WellCare offers free, unlimited non-emergency transportation to appointments and pharmacies. You must call at least 48 hours before you need a ride.

  • 1-866-591-4066
  • TTY 1-800-855-2880


SSI Medicaid or No Health Insurance

The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health & Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) will help you find the services you need. They provide treatment and support services to people with mental health challenges and substance use disorders, and help individuals who live with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

Call the Georgia Crisis and Access Line for information on community-based service providers in your area. You can call GCAL for information 24/7 and do not need to be in a crisis to call.

Private Health Insurance

Your health insurance plan will help you find the services you need. Call the number on the back of your insurance card or go online to find your provider directory.

Who can help me find mental health care or substance use treatment?

Georgia Crisis and Access Line: provides information statewide for individuals seeking community-based service providers in their area. You can call GCAL for information at any time 24/7 and do not need to be in a crisis to call.

Family Health Line (managed by Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies): Georgia’s statewide, toll-free, bi-lingual telephone information and referral line for free and reduced-cost healthcare services.

  • 1-800-300-9003 (Mon – Fri 8 AM – 5 PM)
    • Spanish speaking staff available and telephone interpreters in 170+ languages

What resources and providers are available to support my mental health or recovery?

Call Centers & Online Resources

Community Resources

Call 211 or visit United Way’s 2-1-1 online database for help finding additional services that support your health, such as food, clothing, legal advice, housing, transportation, and prescription medications.

The Family Health Line (managed by Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies) can also help you locate community resources and social services to support your health.

Treatment Providers

See our list of mental health and substance use treatment providers.

Many of these providers offer services to individuals with Medicaid or without insurance.

This guide includes information adapted from Georgians for a Healthy Future’s My Health Resource Guide.